Easy Way to Link NIN to your MTN Line – How to Connect your MTN SIM Card to NIMC/NIN
A Comprehensive Guide: Linking Your NIN to Your MTN SIM Card
In compliance with the directive from the federal government of Nigeria, all telecommunication companies, including MTN, require their subscribers to link their National Identification Number (NIN) to their SIM cards. This process ensures proper verification and authentication of users’ identities. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the easy steps to link your MTN SIM card to your NIN, providing you with essential information and precautions along the way.
Understanding the National Identification Number (NIN): The National Identification Number (NIN) serves as a unique identifier for Nigerian citizens. It is issued upon enrollment by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). Your NIN is crucial as it helps match your biometric data and other details in the National Identity Database during verification and authentication processes.
For MTN users/subscribers only follow this simple instruction to connect/link your SIM with *758#
What is a NIN?
Registering for NIN: To register for NIN, you can visit any NIMC Enrollment Centre (ECR) located near you. For a comprehensive list of enrollment centers nationwide, please visit the official NIMC website at www.nimc.gov.ng.
My SIM was registered with my voter card, and not national card. Am I going to be affected?
Impact on Voter Card Registrations: It’s important to note that the directive to link NIN to SIM cards applies to all Nigerian citizens who are telecom subscribers, regardless of the registration method used. Therefore, even if your SIM card was initially registered with your voter card rather than your national card, you are still required to link your NIN to your SIM card.
How do I confirm my NIN number?
Confirming Your NIN Number: You have a couple of options to confirm your NIN number. Firstly, you can check your NIN Slip, which displays your 11-digit number at the top left corner of the second row. Additionally, you can dial *346# and select option 1 to retrieve your NIN. Please be aware that a nominal fee of 20 Naira may apply for this service.
How to Connect/link your MTN SIM Card with your NIN I have a NIN offline?
How to Connect/Link Your MTN SIM Card with Your NIN: If you have a NIN offline, follow these steps to connect your MTN SIM card with your NIN:
- Dial *785# free of charge.
- Follow the prompts to provide your NIN for further validation with NIMC.
- Alternatively, you can submit your NIN through the myMTN app.
Verification Process and Next Steps: MTN will initiate the verification process with NIMC once your NIN is submitted. If your NIN is successfully verified, it will be linked to your MTN SIM registration, eliminating the need for further action on your part. However, if the NIN you submitted cannot be verified, you may need to visit an enrollment center for resolution personally. Rest assured, MTN will keep you informed about the status of your NIN verification.
How to Link/Connect your NIN to your MTN SIM Card with MTN MYAPP
Linking Your NIN to MTN SIM Card using MTN MYAPP: If you prefer an alternative method to link your NIN, you can follow these steps:
- Download the MTN MYAPP from the Play Store.
- Register your account.
- Submit your NIN and phone number to link your NIN to your SIM registration data.
- Note that NINs submitted through this method will be received as unverified, pending validation against the NIMC database. This may require re-validation in person in the future.
Potential Consequences of Non-Compliance: Complying with the NIN-SIM card linkage directive is crucial. Please link your NIN to your MTN SIM card by the designated deadline to ensure your line is not blocked. The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has mandated that all telecommunications operators block all lines not paired with a NIN Number by December 30th, 2020.
Will my line be blocked if my NIN is not captured?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
To address common concerns, here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
- Q: I can see my NIN on my phone after dialing *346#. Will my line still be blocked? A: Yes. All customers are required to submit their NIN to their service provider. Unless your NIN is verified successfully with NIMC and linked to your SIM registration, your line may be blocked unless paired with a NIN before the deadline.
- Q: Can MTN send staff to my office to do the linking for me? A: MTN has provided a self-service option for customers to link their numbers conveniently. You can use the myMTN app or dial *785# to link your number from anywhere at your convenience.
- Q: I have more than one phone number. How do I link them? A: To link multiple phone numbers, dial *785# or use the myMTN app for each respective number you wish to link.
- Q: If I try linking on my line and I am not registered, will I be charged 20 Naira? A: No, you will not be charged. If you attempt to link your line without a valid NIN, an error message will indicate an unsuccessful transaction.
Conclusion: Ensuring the linkage of your NIN to your MTN SIM card is crucial to comply with the directive from the federal government and avoid potential service disruptions.
You can conveniently complete the process and secure uninterrupted communication by following the provided steps, either offline or through the MTN MYAPP. Remember, verifying your NIN is essential for maintaining the integrity of your identity and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements. Act now to link your NIN to your MTN SIM card and stay connected without interruption.